You might have noticed small signs when your drains are about to clog – water draining out slowly, bathtub taking longer to empty, or unpleasant odors from the sink. Sometimes due to a busy schedule, or even laziness, we chose to ignore these sings and end up with clogged drains.. But don’t despair! There are some easy home remedies that you can try before you dial your emergency plumber.
- Baking Soda& Vinegar
Baking soda to your rescue again!
– Mix 50 gm of baking soda with 50 ml vinegar. It will start bubbling immediately.
– Pour it down the drain and cover it with a plug. Let it rest for at least an hour.
– Then, pour down a bucket of hot boiling water. Mixture of baking soda and vinegar will breakdown nasty clogs and hot water will clear it all out nicely.
2. Caustic Soda
For a really nasty blockage that will not be go away with baking soda and vinegar, use caustic soda. Make sure you’re handling caustic soda with gloves and eye protection. It can give you burns.
– Take 3 liters of cold water in a bucket and mix 3 cups of caustic soda.
– The water will start boiling. Pour the liquid down your drain.
– Wait for 30 minutes and flush.
3. Plumber snake
It’s an easily available product in the market and quite simple to use.
– Remove the sink trap and empty the pipes.
– Now, push the snake inside the pipe clearing all resistance until you reach the other end.
– Repeat the process until your pipe is clean and the snake can pass through with no resistance. There are also ways of preventing a total blockage.
4. Boiling water
If your drain has become slow, you can save yourself from a big blockage at this stage. Pour down a bucket of boiling water. This will clean small blockages and your drains will be clean for longer.
If your drains are working fine, but smelling really bad. Squeeze 3 lemons or half cup of lemon juice concentrate into it and wait an hour before flushing. It will leave your sink smelling summer fresh.
So, the next time you are in ankle deep water in your bathroom or an overflowing sink, try some of these methods. These are simple methods can be executed with supplies easily available at home and they will certainly save you. If none of these work, consider calling for professional help from Pro Plumbing for a fair priced good service.