Different types of Water Damages
- Leakages from plumbing pipes and fixtures
- Leakages from the appliances
- Broken plumbing fixtures
- Frozen pipes that can result in pipe burst
- Pipe Burst due to other reasons
- Sewer and toilet waste backups
- Basement flooding
- Excessive humidity that causes bad odors and mold growth
It is always better to take a few precautionary measures rather than paying expensive repair bills and spending the time to repair the damages later. Luckily, preventing water damages is a lot easier and cheaper than you think. The ways to avoid and prevent these water damages in your home is to follow these tips:
- Inspect and clean the eavestrough and downspouts to avoid blockages and clogs that lead to water overflow and ice dams.
- Check for leaks from these appliances.Also, ensure your appliances such as the dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, refrigerator, etc. are working efficiently so that they don’t cause water damage problems.
- Make sure you solve the high water pressure problem in your home by installing a water pressure pump or partially turning off the main shut-off valve. High water pressure can affect the plumbing pipes, fixtures, and appliances and result in leaks, bursts, and flooding.
- Insulate your plumbing pipes to prevent them from freezing. Frozen pipes can crack or even burst in the worst cases.
- Don’t drain greasy food or oily leftovers down the kitchen drain. Likewise, don’t flush bigger items such as comb, toys, and sanitary napkins into the toilets to prevent blockages, clogs, and backflow.
- Get your sewer line and septic tank cleaned every 8-12 months to ensure proper drainage of waste and avoid backflow.
- Upgrade your plumbing pipes if they are exceeding their shelf life or if you have polybutylene pipes which can be dangerous.
- Try to minimize landscaping near the external pipes. The roots of trees and plants in the near vicinity of the sewer line or external pipes can grow and plug them.
- Turn off the water supplies and shut-off valve before setting off for a vacation. Unnoticed leaks and plumbing defects can lead to major water damages while you are away.
- Install a water detector device near the appliances and in the basement to detect water damages before they become serious. This is an electronic device that senses moisture and alarms low or high moisture levels.
Some of the best ways to identify the water damages in your home are to inspect the house on a regular basis and to keep an eye on the water bills. If you notice your water bills have increased as compared to your water usage, understand that you have a water damage somewhere in your plumbing system. And if you notice any kind of defect in your plumbing system, call our professional plumbers in Edmonton and get total plumbing repairs in order to prevent water damages.